Tuesday, November 11, 2014

God Gave Us Angels by Lisa Tawn Bergren and Illustrated by Laura J. Bryant

ISBN: 9781601426611
Hardcover $10.99
WaterBrook Press
Teaching little ones about angels can be tricky. Some folks attribute too much presence and power to angels and some shy away from even considering the fact that there are angels amongst us. In God Gave Us Angels the author gently and sweetly and with clear Biblical teaching explains to the young ones that there are angels and that God gave them to us.

The art is sweet, beautiful, engaging, and has a sense of loving about it that parents, grandparents, and children will thoroughly enjoy. Soft colors further enchant. The author is not new to the "God Gave Us" series having previously published seven of the themed God Gave Us books.

Papa bear shares the truths of angels with Little Cub and Little Cub asks...
"Have you ever seen one?" Little Cub asked. "I mean, for reals?" "I haven't, but I agree with the bunnies. They're often with us." "Are some here now?" she whispered. "Maybe," he whispered back.
In the illustrations, each page has other woodland critters going along with the bears. There are angels, too, on every page.

Now, I have shared that I do like the book, the Biblical teaching in the text/story, and the lovely illustrations. But I have issue with a couple of other items.
  1. Little Cub can't pronounce the words sometimes - like lots of little children. However, I personally believe that books should spell the words correctly and avoid spellings for mispronounced words..... "for reals?"  "They're imbisible.
  2. The angels depicted in the illustrations are bears with wings. They are drifting, floating, flying on the pages. My question is, will this give the idea to a child that there are animal angels?
I will give this book a 4-star rating because it is very good except for the couple of issues I have just stated. I will be sharing my copy with my grandchildren knowing their parents are astute enough to get past these items. 
SNEAK PEAK - CLICK HERE
DISCLOSURE: I was provided a complimentary copy from Blogging For Books Review Program on behalf of the publisher WaterBrook Press in exchange for this review. Opinions expressed are solely my own. I received no compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.